In this post, we’ll review some symptoms and facts about gum disease that you should know to help protect yourself.
You should understand the symptoms of gum disease because it is a very common affliction. adults. According to a Centers for Disease Control study, almost half of U.S. adults over age 30 have some form of gum disease.
What is gum disease?
The technical term for gum disease is periodontal disease, which is a serious gum infection that damages gums and can destroy the jawbone.
Do you know the signs and symptoms of gum disease?
Warning Signs of Gum Disease:
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away
- Pus between your gums or teeth
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- A change in the fit of partial dentures
- Painful chewing
- Sensitive Teeth
- Loose Teeth
What can cause gum disease?
Certain factors increase the risk for periodontal disease.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Crooked teeth
- Fillings that have become defective
- Taking medications that cause dry mouth
- Bridges that no longer fit properly
Is gum disease curable?
There is no cure for periodontal disease, but it can be controlled as long as you keep up the home care your dentist has prescribed to you.
The Office of Michael E. Sullivan can help you develop good brushing and flossing habits and determine the right treatment for your dental health.
For an appointment with Elmhurst dentist Michael E. Sullivan, call our office today at